Journal Club Archive
May 5, 2015:
Otology & H&N
April 7, 2015:
General and Facial Plastics
May 6, 2014:
Head & Neck & Otology
April 1, 2014:
Plastics & Rhinology
March 4, 2014:
Peds & Laryngology
February 4, 2014:
Rhinology & Facial Plastics
January 7, 2014:
Otology and Head and Neck
December 3, 2013
Pediatric Otolaryngology/ Laryngology/General
November 5, 2013
Plastics & Rhinology
October 8, 2013
Otology and Head and Neck
September 3, 2013
Laryngology & Pediatric Otolaryngology
May 7, 2013
H&N and Otology
April 2, 2013
Peds and Laryngology
March 5, 2013
Plastics and Rhinology/General
February 5, 2013
H&N and Otology
January 8, 2013
Peds and Laryngology
December 4, 2012
General/Rhinology and Facial Plastics
November 6, 2012
H&N and Otology
October 2, 2012
Peds and Laryngology
Journal Club Articles, May 2012
Journal Club Articles, April 2012
Journal Club Articles, March 2012
Journal Club Articles, February 2012
Otitis media and placement of tympanostomy tubes in children
Journal Club Articles, January 2012
Journal Club Articles, December 2011
Landmark Topic - Gortex in Rhinoplasty
Journal Club Articles, November 2011
Journal Club Articles, October 2011
Journal Club Articles, September 2011
September 2010 thru May 2011
Journal Club Articles, May 2011
Journal Club Articles, April 2011
Journal Club Articles, March 2011
Journal Club Articles, February 2011
Journal Club Articles, January 2011
Journal Club Articles, December 2010
Journal Club Articles, November 2010
Journal Club Articles, October 2010
Journal Club Articles, September 2010
September 2009 thru May 2010
Journal Club Articles, May 2010
Journal Club Articles, April 2010
Journal Club Articles, March 2010
Journal Club Articles, February 2010
Journal Club Articles, January 2010
Journal Club Articles, December 2009
Journal Club Articles, November 2009
Journal Club Articles, September 2009
September 2008 thru May 2009
Journal Club Articles, May 2009
Journal Club Articles, April 2009
Journal Club Articles, March 2009
Journal Club Articles, February 2009
Journal Club Articles, January 2009
Journal Club Articles, December 2008
Journal Club Articles, November 2008
Journal Club Articles, October 2008
Journal Club Articles, September 2008
September 2007 thru May 2008
Journal Club Articles, May 2008
Journal Club Articles, April 2008
Journal Club Articles, March 2008
Journal Club Articles, February 2008
Journal Club Articles, January 2008
Journal Club Articles, December 2007
Journal Club Articles, November 2007
Journal Club Articles, October 2007
Journal Club Articles, September 2007
September 2006 thru May 2007
Journal Club Articles, May 2007
Journal Club Articles, April 2007
Journal Club Articles, March 2007
Journal Club Articles, February 2007
Journal Club Articles, January 2007
Journal Club Articles, December 2006
Journal Club Articles, November 2006
Journal Club Articles, October 2006
Journal Club Articles, September 2006
October 2005 thru April 2006
Journal Club Articles, April 2006
Journal Club Articles, March 2006
Journal Club Articles, February 2006
Journal Club Articles, January 2006
Journal Club Articles, December 2005
Journal Club Articles, November 2005
Journal Club Articles, October 2005
October 2004 thru May 2005
Journal Club Articles, May 2005
1. Malik TH, et al. A comparison of surgical techniques used in dynamic reanimation of the paralyzed face. Otology & Neurotology 26:284-291, 2005.
2. Moore MG, et al. Effectiveness of chemotherapy and radiotherapy in sterilizing cervical nodal disease in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Laryngoscope 115:570-573, April 2005.
3. Kay DJ, et al. Rates and risk factors for subsequent tonsillectomy after prior adenoidectomy: a regression analysis. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery 131:252-255, March 2005.
4. Carlson GW, et al. Sentinel Lymph node biopsy in the management of cutaneous head and neck melanoma. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery 115:721-728, March 2005.
5. DelGaudio JM, et al. Multiplanar computed tomographic analysis of frontal recess cells: effect on frontal isthmus size and frontal sinusitis. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 131:230-235, March 2005.
6. Ayache D, et al. Usefulness of delayed postcontrast magnetic resonance imaging in the detection of residual cholesteatoma after canal wall-up tympanoplasty. Laryngoscope 115:607-610, 2005.
Journal Club Articles, March 2005
1. Lynn-Macrae AG, et al. Medicolegal Analysis of Injury During Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. Laryngoscope 114:1492-1495, Aug 2004.
2. Friedman M, et al. Intraoperative Intact Parathyroid Hormone Level Monitoring as a Guide to Parathyroid Reimplantation after Thyroidectomy. Laryngoscope 115:34-38, Jan 2005.
3. Daya H, et al. Retropharyngeal and Parapharyngeal Infections in Children: The Toronto Experience. International Journal of Pediatric Otolaryngology 69:81-86, Jan 2005.
4. Davis S, et al. Thyroid Neoplasia, Autoimmune Thyroiditis, and Hypothyroidism in Persons Exposed to Iodine 131 from the Hanford Nuclear Site. JAMA 292:2600-2613, 1 Dec 2004.
5. Cannito MP, et al. Perceptual Analyses of Spasmodic Dysphonia Before and After Treatment. Archives Oto-HNS 130:1393-1399, Dec 2004.
6. Sobol SE, et al. Abnormal Mesenchymal Differentiation in the Superior Semicircular Canal of Brn4/Pou3f4 Knockout Mice. Arch Oto-HNS 131:41-45, Jan 2005.
Journal Club Articles, February 2005
1.) RA Cueva. Auditory Brainstem Response versus Magnetic Resonance Imaging for the Evaluation of Asymmetric Sensorineural Hearing Loss. Laryngoscope Oct 2004; 114: 1686-1692.
2.) DL Schwartz, et al. FDG-PET Prediction of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancer Outcommes. Archives Oto-HNS Dec 2004; 130: 1361-1367.
3.) T Sakamoto, et al. Elevated Expression of COX-2 in Adenocarcinoma of the Parotid Gland: Insights into Malignant Transformation of Pleomorphic Adenoma. Annals Oto Rhino Laryng 2004; 113: 930-935.
4.) ML Daviglus, et al. Relation of Body Mass Index in Young Adulthood and > Middle Age to Medicare Expenditures in Older Age. JAMA Dec 8, 2004; 292(22): 2743-2749.
5.) T Akcam, et al. The Effect on Snoring of Structural Nasal Valve Dilation with a Butterfly Graft. Archives Oto-HNS > Nov 2004; 130: 1313-1318.
6.) PR Kadilak, et al. Favorable Short- and Long-Term Outcomes of Prolonged Translaryngeal Intubation in Critically Ill Children. Jour Burn Care & Rehab May/June 2004; 25(3); 262-265.
Journal Club Articles, January 2005
1) Antibiotic prophylaxis post-tonsillectomy. Int journal pediatric otorhinolarygnology 50;15-22,2002.
2) Bacteremia during tonsillectomy. Soldado l. Clin Otolaryngol 23;63-66,1998
3) Surgical management of chronic sinusitis in children. Laryngoscope 114;2103-2109,2004.
4) Auditory Branstem implantation in NF-2. laryngoscope 114;2135-2146, 2004.
5) pepsin and carbonic anhydrase diagnostic markers. Laryngoscope 114:2129-2134,2004.
6) Risk of community acquired pneumonia and use of gastric acid inhibitors. JAMA 292;1955-1960, 2004
7) Gamma probe accuracy in detection of sentinel node. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 111;794-800,2002.
Journal Club Articles, December 2004
1) Prevention of hanging columella in rhinoplasty. Ann Rhinol Laryngol 113:839-844, 2004
2) Fundoplication for larygopharyngeal reflux J Am Col Surg 199: 23-30, 2004.
3) Integration of HPV-11 in recurrent respiratory papillomatosis associated cancer. Laryngoscope 114:1906-1909, 2004.
4) Human error identification. Arch otolaryngol Head neck surg 130:153-1157, 2004.
5) Quality of life following surgery for anterior skull base tumors. Arch otolaryngol head neck surg 129:1303-1309, 2003.
6) Controlled risk of stenosis after surgical excision of subglottic hemangioma. Arch otolaryngol head neck surg 129:1291-1295, 2003.
Journal Club Articles, November 2004
1. Pediatric total tonsillectomy using coblation compared to conventional electrosurgery: A prospective, controlled single-blind study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004;130: 666-75.
2. Restoration of the Orbital Aesthetic Subunit in Complex Midface Defects Laryngoscope, 114:17061713, 2004
3. Pachydermia is Not Diagnostic of Active Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease Laryngoscope, 114:15571561, 2004
4.Transforming growth factor, myofibroblasts, and tissue remodeling in the pathogenesis in tracheal injury: potential role of LPR . Ann otol Rhinol laryngol 13:488-499,2004.
5.Implications of Prognostic Factors and Risk Groups in the Management of Differentiated Thyroid Cancer Laryngoscope, 114:393402, 2004
6. Methylprednisolone, Valacyclovir, or the Combination for Vestibular Neuritis. NEJM;351(4), 354-360, 2004.
Journal Club Articles, October 2004
Effects of Transtympanic Micropressure in People with Meniere's Disease. Gates: Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, Vol 130(6). June 2004: 718-25
Percutaneous Tracheostomy: Don't beat them, join them. Laryngoscope, 114:1517-1521, 2004
Primary Cleft Nasal repair. Ann Plas Surg 2004;53;102-108
Role for postoperative radiation therapy for adenoid cystic carcinoma. Laryngoscope, 114:1194-1199, 2004
Effectiveness of intratympanic dexamethasone in sudden deaf patients. Laryngoscope, 114:1184-1189, 2004
Clinical Outcomes after revision FESS. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;130:975-978
October 2003 thru May 2004
Journal Club Articles, May 2004
1) Laryngoscope 114: March 2004, "Epiglottitis in the H. flu Type B Vaccine Era: Changing Trends", Rahul K. Shah, et al
2) Laryngoscope 114: March 2004, "Incidence of Serious Complications After UPPP", Eric J. Kezirian, et al
3) Annals of Plastic Surgery, Vol 52, No 4, April 2004, "The Role of Topically Administered FK506 at the Time of Facial Nerve Repair Using Entubulation Neurorrhaphy in a Rabbit Model", L. Michael Diaz, et al
4) Archives of Otolaryngology H&N Surg, Vol 130, March 2004, "Research Subject Privacy Protection in Otolaryngology", Michael Noone et al
5) New England Journal of Medicine, Vol 349 (22), 27 Nov 2003 pp2091-2098, "Concurrent Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy for Organ Preservation in Advanced Laryngeal Cancer", Arlene Forastiere, et al
6) Journal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Vol 62: 155-163, 2004, "Mandibular Condyle Fractures: Determinants of Treatment and Outcome", Pedro M. Villarreal, et al
Journal Club Articles, April 2004
1) Rogers JW et al. Can post-RT neck dissection be omitted for patients with head and neck cancer who have a negative PET scan after definitive radiation therapy? Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys, Vol 58, No 3; pp 694-697.
2) Velazquez RA et al. The role of computed tomographic scans in the management of the N-positive neck in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma after chemoradiotherapy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;130: pp 74-77.
3) Guyuron B et al. Surgical treatment of migraine headaches. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002;109:pp2183-2189.
4) Hillman TZ et al. Vestibular nerve section versus intratympanic gentamicin for Meniere's disease. Laryngoscope, February 2004;114:pp 216-222.
5) Keerl R et al. Use of sodium fluorescein solution for detection of cerebrospinal fluid fistulas: An analysis of 420 administrations and reported complication in Europe and the United States. Laryngoscope, February 2004;114: pp 266-272.
6) Altman JS et al. The effect of electrocautery versus cold scalpel technique on the incidence of early postoperative tonsillar pillar dehiscence after uvulopalatopharyngoplasty with tonsillectomy. Laryngoscope, February 2004;114: pp 294-296.
7) Gross ND et al. Outpatient endoscopic Zenker diverticulotomy. Laryngoscope, February 2004;114: pp 208-211.
Journal Club Articles, March 2004
1) Kawamoto HK and Bradley JP. The Tear "TROUF" procedure: Transconjunctival repositioning of orbital unpedicled fat. Plast Reconstru Surg.112(7), December 2003:1903-7.
2) Welge-Luessen A, et al. Endonasal surgery for contact point headaches: A 10 year longitudinal study. Laryngoscope 113, December 2003:2151-6.
3) Ramadan H. Relation of age to outcome after endoscopic sinus surgery in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129, February 2003:175-7.
4) Shupak A et al. Inner ear decompression sickness and inner ear barotrauma in recreational divers: A long-term follow-up. Laryngoscope 113, December 2003:2141-7.
5) Lam A and Kerr PD. Parathyroid hormone: An early predictor of postthyroidectomy hypocalcemia. Larngoscope 113, December 2003:2196-2200.
6) Guilleminault C et al. Sleep disordered breathing: Surgical outcomes in prepubertal children. Laryngoscope 114, January 2004:132-7.
7) Karpenko AN et al. Cymetra injection for unilateral vocal fold paralysis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112, 2003:927-34.
Journal Club Articles, February 2004
The Effect of GJB2 Allele Variants on Performance After Cochlear Implantation. The Laryngoscope. Volume. 113. Pages 2135-2139. December 2003.
Results of Caldwell-Luc After Failed Endoscopic Middle Meatus Antrostomy in Patients with Chronic Sinusitis. The Laryngoscope. Volume 113. Pages 2148-2150. December 2003.
Effect of Steroids on Edema, Ecchymosis, and Intraoperative Bleeding in Rhinoplasty. Annals of Plastic Surgery. Volume 51, Number 6. Pages 570-574.
Expression of Urokinase-type Plasminogen Activator and Its Receptor in Keloids. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Volume 129, Number 12. Pages 1334-1338. December 2003.
Intravenous Entibiotic Therapy for Deep Neck Abscesses Defined by Computed Tomography. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Volume 129. Pages 1207-1212. November 2003.
Whole-Body Dual-Modality PET/CT and Whole-Body MRI for Tumor Staging in Oncology. JAMA. Volume 290, Number 24. Pages 3199-3206. December 24/31, 2003.
Familial Link Seen in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. JAMA. Volume 290, Number 22. Pages 2925-2926. December 10, 2003.
Journal Club Articles, November 2003
1) Welling et al. Predictive Factors in Pediatric Stapedectomy. Laryngoscope 113(9) September 2003; pp 1515-1519.
2) Schmid et al. Impact of Positron Emission Tomography on the Initial Staging and Therapy in Locoregional Advanced Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. Laryngoscope 113(5) May 2003; pp 888-891.
3) Stennert et al. High Incidence of Lymph Node Metastasis in Major Salivary Gland Cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129(7) July 2003; pp 720-723.
4) Yoskovitch A and Fanous N. Correction of Thin Lips: A 17-Year Follow-up of the Original Technique. Flastic and Reconstructive Surgery 112(2) Aug 2003; pp 670-675.
5) Friedman et al. Inferior Turbinate Flap for Repair of Nasal Septal Perforation. Laryngoscope 113(8) August 2003; pp 1425-1428.
6) Haruhiko et al. Submucous electrocautery following submucous resection of turbinate bone - a rationale of surgical treatment for allergic rhinitis. Auris Nasus Larynx 30 (2003): 147-152.
Journal Club Articles, October 2003
1) Bhattacharyya N, Batirel H, Swanson SJ. "Improved outcomes with early vocal fold medialization for vocal fold paralysis after thoracic surgery". Auris Nasus Larynx 30 (2003); 71-75.
2) Pelton RW, Smith ME, Patel B, Kelly S. "Cosmetic Considerations in Surgery for Orbital Subperiosteal Abscess in Children: Experience With a Combined Transcaruncular and Transnasal Endoscopic Approach". Arch Orolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129(6) June 2003: 652-655.
3) Yimtae K, Sriromptong S et al. "A Randomized Trial of the Canalith Repositioning Procedure". Laryngoscope 113(5) May 2003; 828-832.
4) Nageris BI, Popvtzer A. "Acoustic Neuroma in patients with completely resolved sudden hearing loss". Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112:2003; 395-397.
5) de la Torre JI, Martin SA, De Cordier BC et al. "Aesthetic Eyelid Ptosis Correction: a Review of Technique and Cases". Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery 112(2) August 2003; 655-660.
6) Stucker FJ, Vora NM, Lian TS. "Otoplasty: an analysis of technique over a 33-year period". Laryngoscope 113(6) June 2003; 952-956.